Re: Slow copy

On (15/12/05 12:42), Graham Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is perhaps one of the stranger questions to be asked but I'm looking for
> a utility that will copy a file slowly.
>
> Part of my ad hoc backup system is to copy the nightly backup tar file from
> our production machine onto another machine. The problem is that the
> production machine is not exactly what you would call high performance and
> the file copy basically causes everything else to grind to a halt. It doesn't
> matter to me that the copy is done in 5 minutes or 50 minutes what matters is
> that it doesn't kill the server for 5 minutes a day.
>
> What I am basically looking for is a version of cp with a max copy rate
> argument. I would write my own but I can't believe that I'm the only one who
> has ever wanted this feature so I suspect there is one already in existence.

Have you tried rsync?  It may not alleviate the slowdown of the
production machine but it would shorten the time of transfer; rsync only
copies changed files.

It would however require backing up the files themselves rather the
tarfile.

I put up some notes on backing up a file server using rsync with some
links I found really useful:
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk/selfhelp/FileServer_Install_manual.html

Regards

Clive