Re: Soft RAID1 and SATA - Hardware failure test - I power off disk and system freezes

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Jan Stavel wrote:
>   VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
>   Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)

According to http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html#via this supports
SATA hotplugging in hardware.  Good.

Do keep in mind that according to
http://linux.yyz.us/sata/software-status.html:

"libata supports host controller hotplug ("yank the card").
All SATA devices are hotplug-capable.
libata does not support device hotplug ("yank the drive")... yet.
Update: Lukasz Kosewski has contributed an initial implementation of SATA
device hotplug."

So the Linux kernel driver does not support SATA hotplug well (read: at all)
yet. And while switching a drive off is not exactly hotplug, it might
explain the failure mode you observed: the code just isn't ready yet.

> But if I try to power off a disk (unplug the power cable) the system
> freezes. I cannot read /proc/mdstat. The only way to get the system
> running is to do restart.

This is a bad failure mode, I'd report it to the kernel bugzilla, or failing
that, to the Debian BTS asking the kernel maintainers to forward it
upstream.

> Do I do something wrong when trying hardware fauilure?

I don't think so, the hardware you have tried it with should survive it
without trouble.

  Henrique Holschuh