Re: Soft RAID1 and SATA - Hardware failure test - I power off disk and system freezes

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Jan Stavel wrote:

> I switched off raid in Bios and installed Software Raid:
>
>    Personalities : [raid0] [raid1] [raid5]
>    md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
>          497856 blocks [2/2] [UU]

good

> But if I try to power off a disk (unplug the power cable) the system
> freezes. I cannot read /proc/mdstat. The only way to get the system
> running is to do restart.

some motherboards does NOT like ( recognize ) tne 2nd disk on the same
ide cable if the primary disk is offline

> Do I do something wrong when trying hardware fauilure?

unplugging the ide cable or power cable to the drive is a ( real) good
test of software raid testing

you can also dd if=/dev/zero on the disk ( /dev/hdc ) too and try to see
if the sw raid ( running on /dev/hda ) rebuilds it for you

c ya
alvin