Re: Changing over to udev

On 14 Dec 2005 22:41:27 -0500
David Zelinsky <dzpost@dedekind.net> wrote:

> David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> writes:
>
> > Udev on Sid requires 2.6.12 or newer kernels. I have 2.6.11 and
> > 2.6.14 (which must have udev).
>
> When I upgraded from 2.4 kernel to 2.6.14 I also installed udev along
> the way -- I don't remember why.  But I later removed udev because
> some device files weren't getting created properly and I couldn't
> understand how to fix it.  Now everything seems to work fine without
> udev, using plain old static device files.  Am I missing something?  I
> am running Sarge not Sid; maybe that's the difference?

The difference is that you can write rules for udev so that it will
always symlink, for example, your usb pendrive to /dev/pendrive and
your usb camera to /dev/webcam. This keeps you from having to look
at /var/log/syslog after you plugin each one to figure out which device
name it was assigned this time (if I plug in my pendrive first,
it's /dev/sdb, but if I plug in the camera and then the pendrive,
it's /dev/sdc, etc.). And then if you have to change the preferences
for your software each time you plug in the device so that it knows
where to find it... you get the idea.

Plain old static device files can still work, udev is just a nice
convenience that makes life easier.

HTH,
Jacob