Re: openoffice hangs with 2.6 kernel

Jan Schledermann <spamtrap@schledermann.org> writes:

> dzpost@dedekind.net wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded my kernel from 2.4 to 2.6.14, and now openoffice
> > freezes whenever I try to open a document, or to start a new
> > one.  When I boot into the old 2.4 kernel, it works fine.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > I tried looking through the list of openoffice bugs.  I didn't see
> > anything related, though the list was pretty extensive so I could have
> > missed something.
> >
> > Here are some system details:  I'm running Sarge on an IBM Thinkpad,
> > with these openoffice packages installed:
> >
> > % dpkg -l | grep openoffice
> > ii  openoffice.org                  1.1.3-9
> > ii  openoffice.org-bin              1.1.3-9
> > ii  openoffice.org-debian-files     1.1.3-8+1
> > ii  openoffice.org-help-en          1.1+20040420-3
> > ii  openoffice.org-l10n-en          1.1.3-9
> > ii  openoffice.org-mimelnk          1.1.3-9
> >
> Instead of mocking about with oo 1.1.3-9 why not install oo 2.0?
> It is better/faster than the older versions and hasn't caused me any grief
> yet.
> I am running 2.0, on sid with a self-compiled 2.6.14 kernel,it works like a
> dream.

I'm running sarge, so I tried installing it from backports.org, but it
wouldn't install.  It depended on some other package that didn't exist
anywhere (don't remember which).

As for my original problem, I've discovered that when I try to open a
document and it appears to hang, if I wait long enough (several
minutes) it eventually opens.  Then opening other documents happens
quickly.  I thought the problem was cured, but when I logged in again,
I again had to wait a long time to open the first document.

-David