Re: getting ssh -X to work. (Was: sane access for non-root user)

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 12:02:04PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 02:28:18PM -0500, Brad Sawatzky wrote:
> >
> > A quick workaround to initialize an up-to-date login environment is to
> > 'ssh -X localhost' from within a local shell...
>
> I just tried that on my sarge system., whose ssh documentation does
> mention ssh.  But in the new shell  env did not give me an entry for DISPLAY

  You need two things for X11 forwarding to work:

  /etc/sshd/sshd_config on the machine you're connecting to must contain
 the setting:

X11Forwarding yes

  The default is 'no' which disables this.

  You'll also need to make sure that you have the xbase-clients package
 installed upon that host too, this provide you with the 'xauth' binary.

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration
http://www.debian-administration.org/