debootstrap chroot problem

Good day,

I am trying to install Debian on a separate partition using chroot from a Gentoo host system. When I issue the following command

% debootstrap --exclude=libsigc++-1.2-5c102,manpages,pciutils,slang1a-utf8
 sid /chroot/ http://http.us.debian.org/debian

packages are downloaded, verified and extracted. The '--exclude=' flag was issued because those packages could not be retrieved, forcing an abrupt exit. (Also, unlike the recreation of the command displayed above, I was able to issue the entire command on a single line.)

Despite my efforts to avoid the debootstrap utility from making abrupt exits, I ran into one that stumped me during the extraction process. I have no idea why it happened, but here is the last few (possibly relevant) lines displayed at the console:

chroot: cannot run command `mount': Permission denied
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /chroot mount -t proc proc /proc
umount: /chroot/dev/pts: not found
umount: /chroot/dev/shm: not found
umount: /chroot/proc/bus/usb: not found
umount: /chroot/proc: not mounted

As you may have noticed, I created the '/chroot/' mount point for this purpose (not entirely imaginative, but I have no reason to believe that the name has anything to do with this problem.)

I did scour the web using google, yet was unable to find a viable solution. Any ideas offered to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ayodele@sdf.lonestar.org