Re: dist-upgrade: why "remove"?

Roby wrote:

[snip]

> gparted was still on the "will be REMOVED" list and really was removed.
>
> As an experiment, I entered "apt-get install gparted" ... expecting apt to
> complain and abort.  Instead, it installed gparted and two libraries.

[snip]

Maybe gparted had been installed as a requirement by another package, not by
itself, then this package was somehow removed, and gparted was no more
"needed". I expect (and see) this trait in "aptitude", but not in
"apt-get", though.

BTW, using "aptitude", instead of "apt-get" seems to be the new recommended
way.

--
Iñaki Silanes / Chemistry Faculty UPV-EHU Donostia
http://www.sc.ehu.es/powgep99/dcytp/teoricos/staff/inaki/inaki.htm