Re: SOLVED, maybe: mail no longer vanishes, but new problems abound.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 11:16:49PM +1100, Arafangion wrote:
> On Monday 12 December 2005 23:01, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > My mail no longer vanished overnight.
> > The big clue to the problem came when someone changed my root password.
> > I presume someone had broken into my system and had been deleting
> > the administrator's mail (mine) to evade discovery.  At some point
> > the invadoer got too bold and changed the root password.
> > As soon as I noticed this, I took my machine offline and began a
> > reinstall from scratch.
> >
> > I'm not finished yet, but email is working and I'm running with
> > a 2.2 woody kernel.
>
> If the sarge installer doesn't work, I'd attempt doing a typical debian
> upgrade (Carefully). Start with the kernel :)
>
> (Keep in mind incompatibility gotchas, for instance, 2.4 requires some
> different tools as does 2.2)

That's what I'm doing -- first the kerhel upgrade.  I have it as far as
2.4, but I still can't get my second hard disk accepted (it complains
aout an invalid nmber of heads).  Which I think odd, because years ago
this was the upgrade patch I actually used.  I'm going to check my
forensic backup in case I can get a clue as to what exact kernel
I did use back then.  Or is there something else I need to know about
80gig hard disks?

-- hendrik