Re: Need basic help with KDE Wallet, added question: (both) SOLVED

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 04:39:34PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Paul E Condon wrote:
> >On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 12:37:28PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> >
> >>I was confronted recently with a request for the password of my KDE
> >>Wallet.
> >>I didn't know I had one. I guessed my logon password for Debian, but that
> >>didn't seem to work ("seem" because I had no idea why the request was
> >>made,
> >>or by what module). I decided to try to undersand, but I am confused.
>
> >KWallet Manager docs also say that "A system tray icon indicates that a
> >wallet is open." What is the system tray? I can't find a definition or
> >an example image.
> >

> The system tray is part of the KDE panel, i.e. the bar which has the
> button for the K menu, other icons, maybe a clock, etc. It might be
> disabled on your system. You should be able to turn it on by right
> clicking on an "empty" spot of the panel and selecting "add to panel >
> applet > system tray". If this point is grayed out in this menu that
> means it is already activated. If you suspect that there is a
> configuration problem, it might help to deactivate it ("remove from
> panel > applet > system tray") and activate it again. The system tray
> itself is "invisible", but can be filled with all sorts of useful icons,
> for example to access klipper (a clipboard management tool), KDE notes
> ("sticky notes" for your desktop), the K-organizer for tasks and
> appointments, etc.
>
> If the system tray is activated, you should be able to get the icon for
> the wallet manager by selecting "K menu > settings > wallet management
> tool". Make sure, however, that your settings in "K menu > control
> center > security & privacy > KDE wallet" allow the icon to be
> displayed, i.e. check the box "show manager in system tray" and uncheck
> the box "hide system tray icon when last wallet closes". The icon itself
> looks like a wallet, opened or closed depending on the status of the
> wallet manager. If you left click on this icon, a window should open
> which displays all existing wallets and allows you to access and manage
> them (e.g. adding and deleting wallets with a right click context menu).
>
> Since you seem to have inadvertently set an unknown password for the
> standard wallet it will probably be best if you delete it and generate
> it again as a new wallet. You should then be prompted to type your
> password twice (as usual when setting new passwords). The wallet
> password can and should be different from your user password. Afterwards
> you can go to the control center again and tell KDE to use the new
> wallet by default. (It will probably do that anyway if there is only one
> wallet.)
>
> If you suspect a configuration problem, you can start "from scratch" by
> deleting the file "~/.kde/share/config/kwalletrc" and the directory
> "~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet". (These will be recreated automatically from
> [...]

This is really a great answer! I didn't have a 'system tray' in my
panel.  I don't know why. I don't recall ever seeing it. It's been a
long time since I originally installed KDE. Maybe I did it when Sarge
was in early testing, and the system tray was temporarily not part of
the Debian package. Maybe ...  Anyway, I now have a system tray and
access to the wallet. And I have a much better grasp of the KDE way.

Thanks!

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net