Re: Jumpy Mouse on Sarge W/ 2.6 Kernel

On Saturday, 10 December 2005 at 11:04:04 -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:

> I have a system with PS/2 connectors for the mouse and the keyboard.  I tried
> installing Sarge with the 2.6 kernel, and the mouse movement was inconsistent
> and jumped all over the place.  I tried booting Knoppix with a 2.6 kernel and
> got the same thing.  After a lot of research I found out that there was a
[...]
> Any help here on getting a PS/2 mouse to behave on 2.6?

I've never had any problem like that except when installing gpm and
before making the change in xorg.conf or XF86Config[-4]
('Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"' -- well documented in the archive here
and elsewhere) and of course the configuration in /etc/gpm.conf (usually
something like 'device=/dev/input/mice' and 'repeat_type=ms3')
.
So, a slightly random thought:

  a) are you sure you haven't installed gpm? If so check the two
  configuration files.

  b) If it is not installed, how about trying installing it and adjusting
  the configuration files.  I can't imagine why it would be better, but
  it costs little effort to try.

HTH (though I doubt it)

--
richard