Switching between wired and wireless

I am looking to create a near-seamless experience with my laptop from switching from a physical network connection(wired) to a wireless connection. Right now my process to do this includes taking down the NIC with ifconfig when I want to switch to wireless, and then to get back to using the physical connection from wireless, I have to take down the wireless card. Is there any way to streamline this whole process? It would be great to be able to set precedence of connections(physical connection having a priority over wireless).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin Gallardo
gallardj@onid.orst.edu