Re: Slightly OT: Comments, ideas, or suggestions for improving websites

Josh King wrote:
>>Josh King wrote:
>>
>>Don't take this the wrong way, but you asked.  What is the point of your
>>site existing?  What does it achieve that has not already been achieved
>>elsewhere, better?
>>
>>I like the one-question FAQ:
>>"I want to get more involved with DebCentral, what can I do to help? WHo
>>(sic) do I need to contact?"
>>
>>What an informative resource.
>

> To answer your first question, please read what I originally posted. I
> think that pretty much clearly defines what I would *like* to do.

I don't understand what you want to do other than run a website and
collaborate with other websites, whatever that means in this instance.

> As for the FAQ comment, I'm really missing your point. The answer is
> pretty clearly stated. For a site thats only been around a short time, how
> many frequently asked questions would you expect? Maybe just make up a few
> and claim they're frequently asked as many do?

Oh.  Is the one that is there frequently asked?

> Anyway, the point of this post was to gather ideas and suggestions. Do you
> have any?

Yes.  Put your efforts into improving existing infrastructure rather
than reinventing the wheel.

> If you don't like it the way it is, then please give some
> suggestions or ideas to improve it. Jump in and help out, or at least give
> us an example of someplace you would consider to be doing things better.

Given that your site is embryonic, I would consider almost every
well-known debian resource is doing things better.  Examples are:
http://www.debian.org/
http://www.debian-administration.org/
http://www.debianplanet.org/
http://www.aboutdebian.com/