Weird PS/2 mouse behaviour

Hi,

I've had this problem ever since I got the external mouse, it's recurred across (iirc) a stock 2.4 kernel, a stock 2.6 kernel, and 2 self-compiled 2.6 kernels. So I don't think that's the issue.

I'm running a testing system with testing security updates.

Whenever I plug in my external PS/2 mouse, model number SAGM011 Microsoft branded iirc (doesn't say on the mouse itself), then it goes haywire. Shoots all over the screen, randomly clicks on things until I unplug it, but if I then wait for the activity it just caused to die down and plug it in again it works perfectly. It replicates the behaviour every time, alternately going crazy and working perfectly.

This isn't a major issue, I can just plug it in twice, but if anyone has any ideas I'd love to lose this annoyance :)

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

I did try all the other device options it gave when I upgraded to X.org, iirc this was the only one that worked.

If there are any other files or sections of files that would be useful, I'll be happy to supply them :)

Thanks,

-ol

--
I will live forever, or die trying.