pppoe connects but i need to run 'ifconfig eth0 up' please help....

Hello All,
 I got sarge 3.1r0a with a pppoe connection from dataone.i have configured
this connection,able to connect but as title shows,i need to run
'ifconfig eth0 up'.here is /etc/network/interfaces:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
iface eth0 inet static
       address 192.168.1.2
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       network 192.168.1.0
       broadcast 192.168.1.255
       gateway 192.168.1.1
       name Ethernet LAN card
#auto eth0

iface dsl-provider inet static
provider dsl-provider

# added by pppoeconf

   pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
As you can see i commented out eth0 line as "#auto eth0" because i
believe the 'pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up' brings network up..but it
does not...and i need to run ifconfig eth0 up...

if i uncomment the 'auto eth0' line,i need to run another command to
connect : 'route add default ppp0'....so that ppp0 be default connection
so my last state of pppoe connection looks like this:
Code:
cosmic:~# ifconfig eth0 up
cosmic:~# pon dsl-provider
help me please.......