Re: /etc/resolv.conf replaced!

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 06:19 pm, Robert S wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > During the past two days I've had power flickers and outages from snow.
> > I have not yet been able to attach a new system to a UPS (too many things
> > to move), and it's lost power a few times.  When it reboots, it cannot
> > communicate with the network.  I checked, and /etc/resolv.conf is no
> > longer there.  It has been replaced by a link to
> > /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf, and /etc/resolvconf/run is linked to
> > /dev/shm/resolvconf.  There is no corresponding file in
> > /dev/shm/resolvconf to work with.
> >
> > I've found references to the other files on Google, but nothing clear
> > telling what is going on.  There are references that make me think some
> > program *thinks* it is supposed to do this (so I doubt it's a virus), but
> > I need to find out what is going on so I can either stop it or make sure
> > it does it right.
>
> # aptitude purge resolvconf
>
> fixed it for me.  The resolvconf command rewrites /etc/resolv.conf when
> you reboot.  Maybe that does some bad things to your system, but things
> have been working better for me since I get rid of resolvconf.  Comments
> from others??

I'm going to try that.  There's a few other suggestions.  When I set this
system up, I did it with the Sarge Net Install disc, and did NOT add any
other packages in the install.  Since then, there were no networking packages
installed.  Both aptitude and dpkg say resolvconf is not in my system, but
I'll try purging it anyway.  There's no dhcp or anything that would need
changing info.  I have one DNS on this LAN, and each system uses that and the
2 outside DNS servers that Comcast recommends I use.

Hal