Re: /etc/resolv.conf replaced!

Hal Vaughan wrote:
During the past two days I've had power flickers and outages from snow. I have not yet been able to attach a new system to a UPS (too many things to move), and it's lost power a few times. When it reboots, it cannot communicate with the network. I checked, and /etc/resolv.conf is no longer there. It has been replaced by a link to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf, and /etc/resolvconf/run is linked to /dev/shm/resolvconf. There is no corresponding file in /dev/shm/resolvconf to work with.

I've found references to the other files on Google, but nothing clear telling what is going on. There are references that make me think some program *thinks* it is supposed to do this (so I doubt it's a virus), but I need to find out what is going on so I can either stop it or make sure it does it right.

# aptitude purge resolvconf

fixed it for me. The resolvconf command rewrites /etc/resolv.conf when you reboot. Maybe that does some bad things to your system, but things have been working better for me since I get rid of resolvconf. Comments from others??