Re: Strange hard lock

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 11:42, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Graham Smith wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 December 2005 10:39, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > * snip *
> >
> >>What kernel version? I had something similar and oom-killer was no help
> >>in identifying the culprit.
> >>
> >>This is no help. :-(

> > It's running
> >
> > Linux compost 2.6.12-1-386 #1 Tue Sep 27 12:41:08 JST 2005 i586 GNU/Linux
> >
> > the machine had been up for 61 days (I checked a few hours before it
> > failed) with no problems and is running Debian testing.
> >
> > Having a closer look at the logs I notice that the first time it killed
> > postmaster but after that it just seemed to repeatedly kill the apache2
> > process.
> >
> > I see what oom-killer is trying to do but I can't believe for one minute
> > that I was running low on memory (the machine is running quite a few
> > processes but never thrashes the disk). A typical top looks like this:
> >
> > top - 11:14:29 up  2:19,  4 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.11, 0.12
> > Tasks: 143 total,   1 running, 142 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
> > Cpu(s):  4.6% us,  1.3% sy,  0.0% ni, 93.7% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,  0.3%
> > si Mem:    321792k total,   308852k used,    12940k free,    15320k
> > buffers Swap:   393584k total,     8340k used,   385244k free,    55168k
> > cached
> >
> > Which is a little odd because I thought that machine had 768 MB of ram
> > not the 300 odd that is being reported. Maybe I removed some :o) it's
> > been so long since I opened that box I can't remember.
>
> Well, again this is no help, but anyway:
>
> What does 'cat /proc/meminfo'show?

> Memory. That doesn't get you any closer because that value floats from
> the high end to about 10-15MB on later kernels and 3MB on earlier kernels.
>
> Do you remember what BIOS shows on memory installed?

I have a sneaky suspicion that I know what the problem is. I think there might
be a memory leak in the Java JAI (Java Advanced Imaging) library. Yesterday
was the first time I extensively used them on the server. I've got top
monitoring the memory usage (M sorted) and so far no problems. What I did
notice was that a few hours before going down apache seemed to be having
problems serving up content. Randomly bits wouldn't appear like it had just
given up.

Result of 'cat /proc/meminfo'

MemTotal:       321792 kB
MemFree:         20804 kB