Re: file not found - hardware, fs, or driver problem?

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 08:41:46AM +0000, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Tuesday,  6 December 2005 at  1:11:32 +0000, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Richard Lyons wrote:
> >

> > >The problem is that installed software sometimes refuses to run, giving
> > >'file not found', in spite of the fact that the file in question will ls
> > >normally, permissions are ok, etc, and I can even cat the file.  This
> > >happens only with certain files, for example two separate attempts to
> > >install qcad professional.  Other software, loaded via normal Debian
> > >routes, runs apparently normally.
> > >
> > >Any suggestions to how to proceed?
> >

> > Can you post the output from your attempt to run the software?
>
> Here is an example:
>     $ qcad-2.1.0.0-rc1-1-prof.linux.lcpp5.x86$ ls
>     bin doc examples fonts library patterns qcad qm README scripts
>     $ ./qcad
>     bash: ./qcad: No such file or directory
>
> showing that it even happens when in the same diectory. And, yes, the
> file qcad is world executable.

Maybe it's missing some vital library or somesuch [1].  Try ldd, or if
that doesn't help, "strace -efile ..." to find out...

Good luck,
Almut

[1] for example, during transition from libc5 to libc6, you sometimes
did get similarly weird messages because the corresponding ld.so was
no longer found (the path to ld-linux.so.1 or ld-linux.so.2 is
hard-wired in the binary).  I don't suppose this is your problem here,
though, as qcad-2.1 seems to be somewhat more recent...