Re: Machines and people

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Kent West wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Kent West wrote:

Computer manufacturers have gotten together and agreed on a standard (or
standards), for example, ASCII.

This standard specifies that 8 bits arranged in a certain sequence stand

[snip]

ASCII is a 7 bit code.

D'oh!

It has indeed been a while. Thanks for the catch.

See there's them fundamental questions again ;-)

On the DEC KAL10 processor with TOPS 10 OS using FORTRAN
back in 1977, we could use A5 format. The DEC10 processor
was a 36 bit machine. So 5 characters times 7 bits fit
into a single word, with one bit left over YOU COULD DO
*ANYTHING* YOU WANTED TO WITH THAT BIT!

WOOO-HOOOO!

Sorry, got carried away, there.

Mike