Re: Machines and people

Kent West wrote:
Paddy Hackett wrote:

In view of this could anybody tell me how we get from the stage of bits
to the letters of say the English language. In short how do bits,
Boolean Algebra lead to letters such as a,b,c,..etc.

If I understand what you're asking ....

Computer manufacturers have gotten together and agreed on a standard (or
standards), for example, ASCII.

This standard specifies that 8 bits arranged in a certain sequence stand

[snip]

ASCII is a 7 bit code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII

Mike