Re: dvd recording, dvdcss, etc.

On 11:23, Mon 05 Dec 05, Matt Price wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have made a copy of a dvd which is encrypted with libdvdcss.  I'm
> pretty sure the copy (which is for research purposes) is legal under
> Canadian law, so please let's not get into that.  I made the copy in
> the following way:
>
> dd if=/dev/hdd of=dvd_file.iso
> then
> dvdrecord dev=ATA:1,1,0 -dao dvd_file.iso
>
> I did md5sum checks on the original disk, the copy on my hd, and the
> copied disk. All come out the same.  The .iso file on my computer
> plays fine under vlc, though I have some trouble with totem and
> mplayer.    However, the copied dvd doesn't play back properly under
> any player.  I find this odd since, as I said, the md5sums are all the
> same.  When mounted as iso9660, loop, the filesystem looks identical
> to the one on the hard drive.  I can't really figure out what I've
> done wrong.  Are there tricks regarding css, or anything else, that
> might help me here?  was the -dao option a possible source of error?
> this is the first dvd I've burned so I don't have much experience with
> this stuff.
>
> thanks,
>
> matt
>
> --------------------------
>  .''`.       Matt Price
> : :'  :      Debian User
> `. `'` 	     & hemi-geek
>   `-
> --------------------------

Just a slight suggestion, you might want to avoid the word
copy, even if it is legal in your situation. The word backup
is more proper, as some people might respond to backup,
rather than copy.

You also might want to read up on the dvd backup process,
most of the time it involves ripping out the vob's off the
disk. Once you have the vobs, you should be able to do
whatever you need to them. Even if you make a bit copy of a
dvd, depending on the dvd, and the drm it might not work.
After all it copied all the drm over, and is bitwise correct
of the original which might or might not want you to watch
the dvd on your computer.

For a good source of the process you might want to check out
one of the guides available on the net, at such places as
doom9, others.

Once you have the vobs you should be able to play them on
any media, such as mplayer, and xine. Now making them play
on your stand alone dvd player is another subject.

Gnu_Raiz