Defining environment variables and cgi scripts

hi.
I have a cgi script I want apache to execute for me.
The problem I'm having is I don't know how to include editional environmental variables that the script requires. How do I add a variable called PAYMENTIC_HOME to the list of environment variables that perl knows about when executing a script under apache?
If I define it like:
export $PAYMENTECH_HOME=/usr/local/paymentech from the shel before I run perl script.cgi everything owrks fine. If I run it under apache the system doesn't pass the PAYMENTECH_HOME variable to the script.

Any ideas how I can get this to work?

Thanks,
Tom