Memory stick booting

I am building a bootable stick (several). zcating the provided image (boot.img.gz) works fine but is a little small (~128meg). I need something larger. However, for reasons that I dont understand - or I wouldnt be here :) - that is failing. (instructions from http://d-i.pascal.at/ )

My question, what are the origins of the image (boot.img.gz)? Can it be made larger? (using 1gig sticks). Creating a stick that I can access is trivial, but they wont boot - not with install-mbr or lilo. Dont know whey the zcat image works.

Thanks
Jim