Re: Linux nukes my network hardware?

On 11/24/05, Gerard H. Pille <gpille@vdab.be> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a couple of days ago, when booting into Debian, I could not get a
> DHCP-offer, so the network was not brought up.
>
> I assigned an address that was not in use via ifconfig, and tried a
> couple of pings.
>
> Pinging a system in the same subnet succeeded, but pinging the gateway
> failed.
>
> IP: 10.40.0.61
> ping 10.40.0.85: OK
> ping 10.40.3.254: failed
>
> If one of the other systems in the subnet pings the broken system,
> there is 95% packet loss.
>
> I swapped cables, tried other sockets in the wall, that I knew where
> OK, but nothing changed.
>
> I booted Win XP, but that was worse, trying to access the network
> regularly resulted in reboots.
>
> So I concluded there was a hardware problem, and had the motherboard of
> the Dell Optiplex GX270 (with built in Intel 82540EM) replaced.  Booted
> Windows and everything was fine.  Yesterday I booted Windows again, all
> was still fine so I decided to start Debian again and was immediately
> back to the beginning of this message: network down.
>
> I put in a pci-network-card, but the results are the same, whether I
> disable the built in NIC or not.
>
> So, something on the motherboard is broken again, or something on the
> net doesn't like me to use Linux on that system (the one I'm sending
> this from is a Debian system on the same network but with a very up to
> date kernel that I configured myself, the broken system uses Debian's
> kernel-image-2.6.11-1-686), and locks me out permanently.
>
> Any advice on how to diagnose this?  I'm afraid a lot of imagination or
> know-how will be needed.
>
> I have to receive feedback on the original MB, so that I know if there
> is any physical damage.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gerard
>
> PS. The broken system had been running Linux for almost half a year, the
> switch to 2.6.11-1 happened a couple of months ago, aptitude was run
> almost daily but I find no recent updates related to the network.  When
> I put a cable directly from that PC to another, there are no problems
> between these two.  Installing a self made 2.6.14 kernel package did not
> heal the system.
>

> --

A friend of mine had a similar issue a while ago. It came down to the
power cord that the PC was using. I know it shocked me also and was
the last thing from my mind, but me plugged in the old cord and the
packet loss started back in again. I think he had even replaced the
power supply, but never the cord.
--

-Erik-