Re: debian and the malware problem

Am 2005-11-27 15:56:27, schrieb Ron Johnson:

> Rootkits and worms come immediately to mind.

:-)

If you leave ports openund use insecure CGI's
on your server or weak passwords or ...

> What's to stop such malware (which, if it exploits the "right" bug),
> from installing a keylogger (since, remember it's a *root* kit),

How can they install keylogger ?
If you have not configured your system to allow such

> and sending everything someone types thru port 80 to some site in
> Romania?
  ^^^^^^^

I call this discrimination.

> Or grabbing your /etc/shadow, and doing a dictionary attack to get
> root and user passwords so as to log in via ssh, and do mischief?

Dictionary attacks?  Are you dreaming?
I have currently 28 Server online and all Server
running the OpenSSH daemon. The daily (!!!) logs
are realy huge,  exactly around 1-5 MByte per server.

Guess why!

In 6 years no one break in!

> Daemon minimalism, firewall maximalism & strong passwords are the
> sine qua non of security, but you're still vulnerable, especially
> if you then do something stupid like turn around and run old, buggy
> versions of PHP, libc6, etc, etc.

:-)

> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson, LA USA

Michelle Konzack
Teheran, IRAN
Capital of the american dream of terrorism.

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi