Re: debian and the malware problem

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 08:56:58AM -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> First, thanks for the help on ntp-server and ntpdate.  I have clamav
> installed and running and would like to know if debian packages exist that
> handle spyware the  way clamav handles viruses or does clamav actually do
> both jobs?  The bastille package doesn't mention spyware or make any
> suggestions for what Linux software might be useful for system protection
> against this kind of malware.  Perhaps cruft can be improved to find and
> dump the lame windows junk that gets thrown onto debian systems then fails
> to work, but I think something more robust may be needed for the junk
> aimed
>  specifically at Linux.

Unless something has changed _very_ recently, there shouldn't be *any*
spyware that can infect Linux systems as happens in the world of
Windows...

Turn off any unneeded services, set up a good firewall that blocks all
ports unless they're specifically opened, good your system updated with
the security releases, and check the system with chkrootkit or tiger
periodically.  You should be fine.

No software should automatically download and install as happens with
Windows--no Linux browsers are infected by the ActiveX bug.