Re: Upgrading from old Sarge (Testing) to Unstable

Thanks you all for your replies.

It sounds like I should stick to stable for now at least (till I get more confident about what I'm doing).

The package I'm most concerned about upgrading is the kernel. I built this from the sources at kernel.org and used a Debian tool (can't remember the name now) to make a .deb file from it and installed ith with dpkg I think.

Will doing 'apt-get upgrade' or 'apt-get dist-upgrade' install the default kernel? Will it leave mine in the GRUB menu at least? I'd like to make sure that apt-get doesn't overwrite the kernel with the standard prebuilt one - I presume mine will still be in the GRUB menu at least.

Thanks,
Yasir

Yasir Assam wrote:

Hello,

I installed DVDs of Sarge when it was the testing distribution (before the 3.1 release). Specifically I installed a snapshot dated 30 April 2005. When I installed it the following lines were added to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Sarge_ - Official Snapshot i386 Binary-3 (20050430)]/ unstable contrib main deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Sarge_ - Official Snapshot i386 Binary-2 (20050430)]/ unstable contrib main deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Sarge_ - Official Snapshot i386 Binary-1 (20050430)]/ unstable contrib main

I now have broadband and would like to upgrade to the Unstable dist. What's the best way of doing this? I added the following line to sources.list:

deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian unstable main contrib non-free

and then did the following:

# apt-get update

Is it safe just to issue the following command?

$ apt-get upgrade

With all the transitions that are taking place right now in unstable, I would be very cautious in upgrading to unstable at this moment. However if you are brave enough then you can use the above command. It is safe in the sense that it will not remove any packages from your system and it will not mess up your configuration files etc.,

bye
raju