Upgrading from old Sarge (Testing) to Unstable

Hello,

I installed DVDs of Sarge when it was the testing distribution (before the 3.1 release). Specifically I installed a snapshot dated 30 April 2005. When I installed it the following lines were added to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Sarge_ - Official Snapshot i386 Binary-3 (20050430)]/ unstable contrib main deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Sarge_ - Official Snapshot i386 Binary-2 (20050430)]/ unstable contrib main deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Sarge_ - Official Snapshot i386 Binary-1 (20050430)]/ unstable contrib main

I now have broadband and would like to upgrade to the Unstable dist. What's the best way of doing this? I added the following line to sources.list:

deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian unstable main contrib non-free

and then did the following:

# apt-get update

Is it safe just to issue the following command?

$ apt-get upgrade

Previously, I compiled my own kernel (using the Debian kernal package tools) and I also installed an ATI display driver separately. I also made some changes to various configuration files. Will all that remain intact if I upgrade?

I'm trying to avoid doing a complete reinstall.

Incidentally, I tried updating a single package (emacs21) and got the following error:

E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential package e2fsprogs due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad, but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
E: Internal Error, Could not early remove e2fsprogs

I presume this is because I need to do an upgrade?

Thanks,
Yasir