Re: strange uid attribute in OpenLDAP

Eugen Wintersberger wrote:
Hi there
I'm trying to use LDAP to administer the users on our department network. So far, Kerberos works fine, and also storing the user data into LDAP seems to work. However, if I set in an LDIF file the uid attribute to, for instance testuser and add the LDIF file to the LDAP tree, asubsequent ldapsearch yields something like this:
.
.
.
.
uid::=Xgswqef
.
.
.
or something in this way. If I use gq (a GTK program) to search the LDAP tree the uid attribute of the new user looks ok.
Has anyone of you an idea whats going on here.

thanks Eugen

PS: I use a Debain testing system on this machine.

The second colon (:) signifies that it's base64 encoded. The client gq (and lots of other clients) will transparently base64 decode any attributes that are stored that way. The ldapsearch client shows you exactly what's stored in the directory. The spec says that any value may (or may not) be base64 encoded.

	be well,
		~c