Re: Filesharing on small LAN

d@jerkface.net wrote:
  Linux NFS is
pretty unreliable in my experience, randomly failing in spite of
network connectivity every couple months or so -- but I haven't used
it seriously in a while (since 2.4.10 or so maybe), and it may have
improved.  (I've waited for some improvement since 2.0.30-something and
gave up even checking in the 2.4 series, but who knows -- maybe a kernel
hacker somewhere started caring about NFS).

I use NFS almost on a daily basis.  The only problem I've had is the occasional
inability to umount an NFS volume, which required a reboot until I learned to
use the umount command repeatedly with the -f option (I presume once for each
open file), but this may be a umount or kernel bug, since there seem to be other
chronic issues connected to dynamic block devices in Linux.  In addition, this
NFS problem seems to have disappeared in the last year or two (with Linux 2.6), so
things may have improved as you surmise.