Re: Filesharing on small LAN

Lars said...
> Hey
>
> I'm running a small LAN and is a bit lost  in the question regarding a
> simple filesharing on a small LAN...
> NFS: I don't get it. If anyone plugs into the lan and have a
> root-account they are on the share.
> SMB: Works sometimes with linux, but often time-out with
> xsmbrowser/gnome and etc. It always works flawless with WinClients, but
> that's it.
>
> I hate to said it/use this expression, but i'm looking for a simple MS
> peer-to-peer/small AD, just in Linux. I properly missed something...

I have a mixed XP and Linux network here, with some machines dual-
booting, and Samba works excellently alongside Lanmanager - or whatever
M$ calls its network stack these days.

I think that the Samba daemon shuts down after a while when it doesn't
detect a network. I've certainly had it disappear on me on an
unconnected laptop, and that's what I've suspected the problem to be.
I'll get around to reading up on that sometime, and presumably fixing
the appropriate config.

--
Best,
Marc