Re: 2.6.14 kernel woes

On 28 Nov 2005, at 22:40, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Monday 28 November 2005 11:44, Jim McCloskey wrote:
* David Baron (d_baron@012.net.il) wrote:
 |>  On Monday 28 November 2005 01:55, Jim McCloskey wrote:
 |>  > What version of udev are you running? The standard kernel
|> > documentation says that you should use nothing earlier and 058.
 |>  > Stable has 056,
 |>  >
 |>  > Jim
 |>
 |>  I have not made the jumpt as of yet. Never could figure out how
 |> to use it. Still doing devices, devfs the old-fashioned way. A
 |> probe and comvert script to set it up might help.
 |>
 |>  I was wondering: Do these kernels REQUIRE udev be used?

I believe that you have to use udev from 2.6.14 on.

This is not true.  I'm happily running 2.6.14.3, on an FC2 box, which
pre-dates udev. And its no problem at all. Everything Just Works (TM).

One thing you _cannot_ do is run devfs though, it's udev or statically managed /dev. devfs was removed in 2.6.13 I think.

HTH,
Chris

--
Chris Boot