Re: Software and kernel modules for Linksys WPC54G / WPC54GS

On Saturday 26 November 2005 13:53,
bounce-debian-user=jmarks1=nycap.rr.com@lists.debian.org wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 12:22:51PM +0100, Nico Gulden wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I plan to set up a WLAN environment und I'm looking for the right
> > componenents.  I'd like to use the Linksys WPC54GS or WPC54G WLAN
> > adapter.
> >
> > How are your experiences with these devices? Do they work easily with
> > debian? What chipset do the devices use and what modules or extra
> > software do I need in order to get it working.
>
> I acquired one of these from a windows using friend (who has sinced
> switched to Debian!).  Getting the device to work was a simple matter
> of:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper
> $ sudo ndiswrapper -i windows_driver.inf
> $ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
> $ sudo sh -c 'echo ndiswrapper >> /etc/modules'
>
> Of course, you also have to edit /etc/network/interfaces and bring up
> the interface -- note that ndiswrapper by default will use wlan0 (not
> eth?) as the interface name.
>
> However, DO NOT BUY WPC54G*.  Use free software drivers.  Proprietary
> XP drivers cannot be trusted.  They cannot even be trusted to obey FCC
> regulations -- their use may well be illegal -- there is no way to know.
> Nor should Linksys/broadcom be rewarded in any way for their unnecessary
> and counter-productive secrecy.  Such rewards only hurt the progress of
> free software.  Note that Linksys has actually written Linux drivers for
> the Broadcom chipset, but these are not free software.  See link:
>
> http://linux-bcom4301.sourceforge.net/
>
> There are wireless PCMCIA devices with free software drivers.  I do
> not know of any particular wireless-G cards which have them, but there
> are wireless-B cards which do (those using the Intersil Prism chipset,
> at least).  See http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/hardware.html for a list
> which, unfortunately, does not distinguish PCMCIA cards from PCI.  There
> is more information here:
>
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/#whard
>
> If you must buy WPC54G*, at least try to buy one used.  Even if this
> behavior is multiplied, it is not likely to benefit linksys/broadcom
> in any way, since the used market is probably undifferentiated.  While
> prices of new cards may go up as the used cards leave the market, prices
> of new or even used linksys cards are unlikely to go up any faster than
> the market as a whole.  The Windows-using masses will just buy competing
> used cards if they can't find used linksys ones.  At least, this will
> work unless Linux users start buying them new once the used market dries
> up -- but we can hope that Linux users are not so short-sighted.

I purchased a WPC54G.  It was bundled with the Linksys WRT54G wireless access
point.  A friend had purchased the same card and it worked fine for him on
linux.  I installed ndiswrapper and the same windows driver he was using.  It
did not work and I discoverd my card used a different chipset and different
windows driver.  It worked with the correct windows driver.  Once in a while
my machine locks up and I think it may be the driver/card.  I would not
purchase one of these cards again.