Re: Software and kernel modules for Linksys WPC54G / WPC54GS

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 12:22:51PM +0100, Nico Gulden wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I plan to set up a WLAN environment und I'm looking for the right
> componenents.  I'd like to use the Linksys WPC54GS or WPC54G WLAN
> adapter.
>
> How are your experiences with these devices? Do they work easily with
> debian? What chipset do the devices use and what modules or extra
> software do I need in order to get it working.

I acquired one of these from a windows using friend (who has sinced
switched to Debian!).  Getting the device to work was a simple matter
of:

$ sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper
$ sudo ndiswrapper -i windows_driver.inf
$ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
$ sudo sh -c 'echo ndiswrapper >> /etc/modules'

Of course, you also have to edit /etc/network/interfaces and bring up
the interface -- note that ndiswrapper by default will use wlan0 (not
eth?) as the interface name.

However, DO NOT BUY WPC54G*.  Use free software drivers.  Proprietary
XP drivers cannot be trusted.  They cannot even be trusted to obey FCC
regulations -- their use may well be illegal -- there is no way to know.
Nor should Linksys/broadcom be rewarded in any way for their unnecessary
and counter-productive secrecy.  Such rewards only hurt the progress of
free software.  Note that Linksys has actually written Linux drivers for
the Broadcom chipset, but these are not free software.  See link:

http://linux-bcom4301.sourceforge.net/

There are wireless PCMCIA devices with free software drivers.  I do
not know of any particular wireless-G cards which have them, but there
are wireless-B cards which do (those using the Intersil Prism chipset,
at least).  See http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/hardware.html for a list
which, unfortunately, does not distinguish PCMCIA cards from PCI.  There
is more information here:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/#whard

If you must buy WPC54G*, at least try to buy one used.  Even if this
behavior is multiplied, it is not likely to benefit linksys/broadcom
in any way, since the used market is probably undifferentiated.  While
prices of new cards may go up as the used cards leave the market, prices
of new or even used linksys cards are unlikely to go up any faster than
the market as a whole.  The Windows-using masses will just buy competing
used cards if they can't find used linksys ones.  At least, this will
work unless Linux users start buying them new once the used market dries
up -- but we can hope that Linux users are not so short-sighted.