Re: Xine Skips Horribly

On 27 Nov 2005, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 08:25:36AM -0800, Jacob Jennings wrote:
> > I am on Debian Woody/Stable with kernel 2.6.8 and
> > XFree86 4.3.0.1, not compiled from source, running KDE
> > 3.3.2 on top of it. I have installed xine from source
> > and the video that it plays skips but the audio does
> > not. I realize that this might not be the optimal
> > place to post, however I was hoping that someone might
> > have had to same problem being as this did not occur
> > when I was using Gentoo with xine. Any help is
> > appreciated, thanks in advance.
>
> First, Woody is oldstable and Sarge is stable.  Based on the X, KDE and
> kernel versions, I am guessing Sarge?  Second, why install xine from
> source?  Third, have you installed hdparm and verified that DMA is
> enabled on your hard drive(s)?
>
> -Roberto

It's not only on Woody that this happens, nor is it anything to do with
KDE.

Some months ago I had xine and vlc working perfectly. Then I had to do a
reinstall and I am now using unstable, no KDE. This is on a Thinkpad
R50e, kernel 2.6.14.2, Xorg.

Xine shows lots of dropped frames and the display is jerky. Ogle runs
smoothly but the display is distorted vertically and attempts to correct
this via .oglerc make no difference at all.

I've tried to install vlc from the deb package but this has unmet
dependencies. I have tried to compie vlc and mplayer from source but
without success.

I'm therefore stuck. If anyone knows how to correct the distortion in
ogle I'd be interested.

I do wonder if using Xorg instead of Xfree86 has anything to do with it.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian