Re: newer kernel for non-bootable sarge

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 08:42:48PM -0700, David Emerson wrote:
> I ran into a nasty problem while trying to install sarge: The 2.6.8
> kernel has a bug that won't allow my computer to boot.
>
> ((  I have a compaq armada 1750 laptop. It has issues... ))
> ((  In the past, I've never been able to get my mouse to work with a
> 2.4 kernel, and it's always been easy with 2.6. ))
>
> So, is there a way to download a newer (like, 2.6.12) kernel and just
> drop it into /boot ?? (Keeping in mind that I can't actually boot
> debian to install it)
>
> Where on earth can I download the files? Assumably, the files I want are:
>
> initrd.img-2.6.12-10-386
> vmlinuz-2.6.12-10-386
>
> And probably also:
>
> config-2.6.12-10-386
> System.map-2.6.12-10-386
>
> Assuming I can find the files to download, should this operation be as
> simple as I'm assuming it to be?

With the installer, you cannot just download a new kernel, drop it into
some directory, and hope that it works. You would have to rebuild the
installer to replace the kernel. To succeed, you need experience with
Debian packaging. I'd suggest to only try that after everything else
has failed.

If the sarge installer works with kernel 2.4, you could always install
using 2.4 and upgrade the kernel to 2.6 after the installation, to make
your mouse work.

If you already need kernel 2.6 during installation, there are still
simpler alternatives than rebulding the sarge installer:

- use the etch beta 1 of the Debian installer
  see: http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
  It has kernel 2.6.12 and should also be able to install sarge.
  If it works for you, this should not be harder than using the sarge
  installer directly.

or
- boot from a live CD such as Knoppix or Kanotix,
  and follow the instructions given here:
  http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html
  Again, some experience with Unix/Linux is necessary.

best regards
Mirko