newer kernel for non-bootable sarge

Hi there,

I ran into a nasty problem while trying to install sarge: The 2.6.8 kernel has a bug that won't allow my computer to boot.

((  I have a compaq armada 1750 laptop. It has issues... ))
((  In the past, I've never been able to get my mouse to work with a 2.4 kernel, and it's always been easy with 2.6. ))

So, is there a way to download a newer (like, 2.6.12) kernel and just drop it into /boot ?? (Keeping in mind that I can't actually boot debian to install it)

Where on earth can I download the files? Assumably, the files I want are:

initrd.img-2.6.12-10-386
vmlinuz-2.6.12-10-386

And probably also:

config-2.6.12-10-386
System.map-2.6.12-10-386

Assuming I can find the files to download, should this operation be as simple as I'm assuming it to be?

Thanks,
David