If I remove old kde3.3 stuff, how do I preserve the menu items

If I cannot "canonize" the konstructed 3.5, then another alterantive would be
to remove most kde3.3 items (using apt-get), leaving the libs and a few items
to meet dependencies of applications I would want to install or upgrade. This
would recover a lot of disk space and get this stuff off the apt-get/kpackage
listings.

I believe I would need to copy all user's menus, do the delete and then, if
all apps have been removed from the menus, restore them. The 3.5 apps would
be run from these menu items.

I have not been able to find the menu files (I presume some XML somewhere in
~/.kde)  Where are they?

Is this plan valid?