Re: Am I Compromised -- Some interesting findings

On Fri, 2005-25-11 at 22:12 +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> In my first mail, the logs showed a lot of "sh" defunct processes executed
> from within apache. Is this an attempt to gain the shell through the web
> server ?
>
> Please suggest me what more should I look for and how to tackle this attack.

Do you have mod_php installed? Are you running any php based
applications? Some of them have potential vulnerabilities if certain
functions are being used, I don't recall off hand which ones.

From your first post i would have thought that you had a perl script
that was running in an infinite loop. However I don't know why you
should have a /usr/sbin/httpd application on you system let alone why it
would be running it. Debian I don't believe ever calls any web process
httpd. So I would check with dpkg what package that file belongs to.

If I were you I would probably disconnect that server from the internet
until you sort out what is going on, what is causing the problems and if
any of your files have been compromised. The longer you leave your
system up and running with symptoms of being compromised the longer you
leave yourself exposed to actually being compromised or getting your
system further into a state of non-recovery.

You can probably try installing and running chkrootkit along with tiger.
These might help determine how and if your system is actually
compromised.

I hope that this helps.

--
 o)    Derek Wueppelmann               (o
(D .    monkey@monkey.homeip.net        D).