Re: exim4 and SSH tunneling

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 20:03 +0100, Björn Lindström wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for setting up an SSH tunnel to a smarthost
> with exim4 on Debian.
>
> Either I'm for a translation of this to exim4:
>
> I could also go with a variant of what I'm temporarily using now. I've
> set up an SSH tunnel to the MTA on the smarthost on port 2525. However,
> I can't seem to use localhost:2525 as the smarthost in exim4-config.
>
> So, does anyone have a suggestion for applying either of these
> approaches to an Exim configuration (split into small files) generated
> by exim4-config?

You could just use an SSH tunnel FROM port 25 on localhost TO port 25 on
the smarthost. For example:

ssh -L25:localhost:25 -N your.smarthost.org

That way anything that goes out on port 25 on your local system will
come in on port 25 of the remote system. So exim will still answer it as
a default SMTP connection.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837