Re: Request to remove Information

On Thursday 24 November 2005 10:11, marc wrote:
>Gene Heskett said...
>
>> On Wednesday 23 November 2005 14:35, marc wrote:
>> >Katipo said...

>> >It's a brave new world ;-)
>>
>> Isn't this the scenario George Orwell tried to warn us about 21 years
>> ago?  Sure bears an amazing resemblance.
>
>'1984' was published in 1949. You'd have thought he'd feel a bit more
>positive after WWII, but I guess he wasn't to be fooled. 'Brave new
>world' was published in 1932.

1984 I read as a teenager, BNW was 2 years before I was born, so I
guess I was never properly introduced to that one, although I'm sure my
alky uncle who introed me to sci-fi way back then must have had a copy
on his bookshelf.  I gobbled up the Doc Smith stuff as soon as I got
past McGuffies Readers.

Huh?  Oh, yeah, doddering old fart, thats me.

>And the insatiable power-junkies in our employ, er, politicos. like to
>think that they're *so* "modern", "progressive" and continually "moving
>forward" :-o

Yeah, but somehow the fact that they ARE in our employ seems to be lost
on most of them...

>Personally, I prefer BNW's irony to 1984's. 1984 is geared toward the
>state taking control by force, whereas BNW has folk being far more
>compliant. Chillingly accurate. Probably not for you if you bought an
>iPod, though ;-)

No sorry, haven't yet, I'm not that much of a background noise junkie.

>I sometimes think that the world I live in is Huxleys', whereas the
>world I perceive through the media is Orwell's.

Right on.  Darnit.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)