Problems with IP address change

Hello all, and thanks for any help in advance.

The problem I am having today is dealing with changing the external IP
address of a router / firewall.

To change the IP address, I edited the /etc/network/interfaces file,
and changed the address from xx.xx.97.99 to xx.xx.97.100
Then I ran the following:
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0
ifconfig

ifconfig shows the correct address of xx.xx.97.100

I thought all was well.
When I go to any site, the address is still reported as xx.xx.97.99
I have tried rebooting the machine, but to no avail.

A little background would be helpful.

This machine is a firewall / router, used for a network of about 30 users.
The firewall is iptables, and is runnint tc for traffice control.
The machine is also the dhcp and dns server.

The external interface, eth0, is connected by ethernet to a T1.
The T1 is accessed through a Cisco router.

In addition to this, something else happened on an ip address change,
after the reboot.

I changed the address from 97.99 to 97.100, and the machine would see
its gateway, 97.97.
It would not pass any packets past that however.
Once I changed the address back to 97.99 packets started passing no
problem, and I didn't reboot the machine either.

Now, if I change the ip address back to 97.100, the internal network
can access the internet with no problem, but the router has extrememly
high latency pinging, etc.

Thinking it could be an ARP problem, I also restarted the Cisco
router, but to no avail.

I have checked the iptables configuration, as well as the tc
configuration. Neither of these files references the specific 97.99
address, refering to the port as eth0 instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all so much.