Can't apt-get php4-gd and libphp-jpgraph

I am trying to install an application (Maia) that needs GD and JPGraph on Sarge/Stable but I cannot get 'apt-get' to correctly install php4-gd or libphp-jpgraph.

I can use either apt-get or aptitude to install these packages, and there doesn't seem to be any installation errors.  I then restart apache2, and use 'php4 -m' to list the modules but gd does not show up in the list, and Maia's configuration checking script shows both modules to be "not installed".

I have looked at /etc/php4/apache2/php.ini and there is no 'extension-gd.so' listed.  If I add this line manually, 'php4 -m' still does not show gd, however maia's configuration checker script shows GD to now be installed.  Even from that point I cannot seem to get JPGraph working.  (The only way I know to tell if it is working is maia's configuration checker script.

Can anyone tell me how to correctly get both of these modules working?

Thank you