Re: how do i control file ownership in usbmount?

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 07:15:23PM -0500, Joseph H. Fry wrote:
> On Monday 21 November 2005 4:54 pm, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > I have just installed usbmount. It is great at handling my
> > memory stick, but I have a problem:
> >
> > The memory stick contains, I believe a vfat file system.
> > When it is mounted with usbmount, the files on it appear
> > to belong to user:group = root:root . However, vfat does
> > not, I think, contain any user:group assignments. I find
> > it inconvenient to have to log in as root, or use sudo
> > just to edit the files on the memory stick. That sort of
> > spoils all the convenience of the automatic mount.
> >
> > Can I set up some config that will tell usbmount to assign
> > different, more convenient defaults to user:group? How?
> >
> > --
> > Paul E Condon
> > pecondon@mesanetworks.net
> http://www.nabble.com/usbmount-only-mounts-pendrive-as-%22root:root%22--t63306.html

This certainly has better control over file mode than does usbmount, but it does
not appear to have other desireable features. Has anyone already done the work of
script writing to do the things that usbmount does quite nicely? e.g.

1. automatically and cleanly make available the device name
2. automatically determine a useful mnemonic name for the mount point

I could probably muddle together something, but it is such an obvious
problem that I feel sure someone much more competent than I has already
solved the problem.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net