Re: Basic questions

Rafi Gabzu wrote:
Hi ,
I just installed Debian "testing" , I'm new in Linux. Few questions:

Not a question from you, but for you:

Why did you install Debian 'testing'? This distribution is for people who like testing software and helping the developers with the next release of debian.

Expect that your installation of 'testing' will break from time to time. If you want to use a 'stable' sytem to get your work done, and if there are not really very important reasons for not using sarge, just use sarge.

1. How do I configure my audio card , it doesn't recognize it ?

try google linux or debian plus the exact name of your soundcard

2. How do I add additional keyboard layout (Hebrew) and fonts?

kde: control center: regional & accessibility: keyboard layout

3. How do I know if I'm working in KDE /GNOME , how do I switch between them

log out: in kdm there is a tab, where you can select the session type you want. Typically in kde the default menu is at the bottom an has a 'K' logo. In gnome it is at the top and a gnome logo is around somewhere (a foot).

4. Is there a guide/book that can help new users like myself ?

aptitude install debian-reference
(or select languages)

After installation it will be found at /usr/share/doc/Debian/reference/

Documentation for packages is usually found at
/usr/share/doc/name-of-package

For some bigger packages there exist special name-of-package-doc packages with the documentation.

Hope that helps, enjoy Debian!

Johannes