Re: hanging web pages

On 21 Nov 2005 23:01:59 -0500, dzpost@dedekind.net <dzpost@dedekind.net> wrote:
> Many of the web pages I visit cause the browser to hang for
> significant periods of time (a minute or more in many cases).  Until
> the page finishes loading, the window does not update, and mouse
> clicks have no effect.  This happens with every browser I've tried
> (mozilla, firefox, galeon, ephiphany, konqueror).  I thought it might
> be a java thing, but it seems to also happen with java and javascript
> turned off.
>
> How can I find out what's causing this, and how can I prevent it?  It
> seems to be happening more and more, and it's really annoying.
>
> -David

Try watching "top" in another window or some other tool that lets you
watch memory use. Modern browsers require significant amounts of RAM,
and you may be running out, forcing the system to swap unused pages to
disk.

If you have less than 256MB of RAM, you may have a much better
experience if you increase it to 512MB or more.