Re: Firefox Opens Only As Root.

Which version of firefox are you using?

Firefox 1.5 RC3. To my credit, though, it had been working perfectly before my system started to crash a lot. Then, briefly, I could only sign in under Root. I solved that and Firefox hasn't worked under the normal user since. Well, it did briefly, actually. I also noted that I could no longer update; only the Root could.

If it is the debian version, I'm
a bit curious why would you write ./firefox to start it! If it is a
nightly or an official version from mozilla itself, make a new profile
and use that.

$ ./firefox -P

I don't really want to make a new profile, though. I've set up Firefox nicely as it is. If I need to make a new profile, I'll probably scrap the whole thing and start again. However, when I tested to see if this would work, it did. So, at least we know that Firefox CAN run under the normal user; save that I can not update. That is still only from root. I think the reboots screwed it up and I shall have to start afresh.

Do you know what the message I'm getting means?

$ ./firefox
/home/david/.gtk_qt_engine_rc:549: error: unexpected end of file, expected character `{'
./run-mozilla.sh: line 131:  6028 Segmentation fault      "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Don't mind the /home/david line: I think that that is my GTK-QT-Engine mucking about. This is not causing the problem.

Thanks much.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.