Re: graphical installer

Thanks.
Rafi

On 11/16/05, Scott <angrykeyboarder@angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:
Rafi Gabzu wrote:
> Hi ,
> I intend to install the "testing " release via netinst , this is my
> first time to install Debian, two questions:
> 1. What is the graphical installer , and can can it help me with the
> installation ?
> 2. Is it network installation as well ?
>
> Thanks,
> Rafi

The regular debian-installer is  not a GUI (Graphical) installer,
however the Debian Installer team has a graphical installer in the
works.  Currently it is in alpha and only available for the testing
distro.   It sounds like you've heard of it, based on your question.

As to what is a graphical installer?  Well it gives you a GUI-based
interface (like you get in GNOME) rather than a console interface that
the debian-installer normally has.   Most major linux distributions
offer both and Debian (hopefully) will eventually do the same.

Keep in mind this software is not even beta, it's alpha.  So if it melts
your hard drive and causes your moniter to explode, you've been warned.

I personally tried it out a few days ago and was quite surprised at how
well it went for an alpha.  I found only a few minor bugs.

The ISOs are @ http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/gtk-miniiso/alpha/

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com