Re: VSFTPD problems

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 07:55:08PM +0000, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Rudi Starcevic on 16/11/05 07:52, wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >Just can't get vsftpd to work?
> >
> >apt-get install vsftpd always used to work ....
> >
> >This is my error:
> >
> >*500 **OOPS*: *cap_set_proc*
> >

> >[quote]
> >On Linux systems, if capability support was disabled in the kernel or
> >
> >built as a module and not loaded, vsftpd will fail to run.  You'll see
> >this error message:
> >  *500 **OOPS*: *cap_set_proc*
> >Build and load the appropriate kernel module to continue.
> >
> >[/quote]
> >
> >What is the 'appropriate kernel module to continue' ??
>
> I've been there and done that, but I looked up my notes and
> unfortunately this is all I wrote down:
>

> "Just solved a problem with kernel 2.6.11 where I had opted to have a
> module capability not loaded at boot time (dunno why) but it came up
> with the weird error cap_set_proc and vsf_sysutil_recv_peek"
>
> I think googling the mail archives or just the whole net should turn up
> the offending module.

the module is called "capability", i.e. "modprobe capability" should do
the trick...

(For anyone interested, it's about providing facilities to segment
the almighty power of the superuser into a more fine-grained set of
discrete capabilities (i.e. privileges), e.g. for running daemons.
The userland side of it is handled by libcap...)